Monday, September 1, 2008

Excerpts, part 1 -- The Gods in our Heart

"For me one of the most chilling commands in all of Scripture is in Matthew 22. Let me remind you how a scribe came to Jesus, seeking to find an avenue to accuse Him of heresy. 'What is the most important of the commandments?' he asked. Jesus replied,

'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the great and foremost commandment. (Matt. 22:37-38)
Perhaps you're like me, and you've read that command so many times it's lost its impact. Go back now and reread it and think deeply with me for a moment. What is our Lord commanding here? Nothing less than our undivided love and worship. Just as soon as I pause to reflect on that principal command, I begin to get uncomfortable. I have to ask myself,
  • Do I love Him with everything that I am, or are there other loves in my heart that clamor for my attention?
  • Do I worship additional gods, or is He always, and in every case, the supreme Ruler who receives my undivided passion and devotion?

...Idolatry has to do with love -- my love for Him, my love for others, my love of the world. When I look at idolatry in these ways, I understand that I'm not so different from those people I observed in temples so far away."

--Elyse Fitzpatrick, in Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true. We throw this around, but very few people love the Lord with everything.

Maria Pauline