Saturday, April 18, 2009

Life is so short



Me and my Aunt Sally. Boy, did I love my Aunt Sally. As you can see, the bonding began early :)

My Aunt Sally passed away about six months ago, when she was only 66 years old. It came as quite a shock, and I was pretty much devastated when I heard the news. We weren't expecting her to die so soon. I mean, we knew she wasn't all that healthy, but I didn't think she was that bad off.

Now it's too late.

Too late to tell her I love her one last time. Too late to thank her for the care she showed to me through the years. Too late to give her one last hug.

And too late to make sure she knew where she was going.

We had all told her about the Lord many times; I remember once, when I was still pretty young (about 9, I would say), we were at the wake of...ummm...I think she was my great aunt? Or great great aunt? I'm not sure. But anyway, I hardly knew her, so that's why I don't exactly remember! :S But at any rate, we were there, and so was Aunt Sally. We both wanted to take a breather, so we went outside and sat on the front porch swing of the funeral home. She began asking questions, and we both sat and talked for a good hour or so, as I shared with her, in simple, childlike words, my faith and the faith that could be hers, too. I believe a seed was really planted that day, and I can only hope that she heard and received the Word of the Lord.

We talked to her a few more times in the years that passed between that day and the day she died, but we didn't have many opportunities to see her. I wrote her letters every now and then, and we did our best.

But one day, about a month before she died, I suddenly had a feeling I should write to her, giving her the Lord's Good News once again. I just had a strange feeling that I should.

And, I'm very ashamed to say, I ignored that feeling.

I wish I hadn't. So badly. I'm ashamed of it, I've cried over it, and I've repented of it. And I know I'm forgiven; but it still hurts.

So the day we got the phone call from my Grandma, telling us that she had died, I was heartbroken. I sobbed from the bottom of my heart; shedding tears for what may have been, and what I had ignored. And hoping that she still heard and received the Lord before it was too late.

Looking at this picture of me and my Aunt Sally today brings back a flood of memories. Good ones, and not-so-good ones. Happy laughter with her, and the realization that she wasn't doing so well, and probably wouldn't live to see my children, young as she was.

And I ask this question of you, my dear reader: What have you done today to influence the heavenly Kingdom of the Father? Honestly. I know that sounds cliche, but be honest with yourself.

At any minute of any day, any family member or friend (or even enemy, folks) could slip away into hell, to be tormented and separated from God forever and ever. Hell never ends; there is no dying, no relief. And that is all anyone has to look forward to in the second life, if they don't realize the path they're heading down and repent, accepting the gift the Lord has graciously offered to them. Jesus didn't die for our sins to earn some kind of brownie points with His Father. He didn't have to do what He did. There was nobody, nothing forcing Him to do it. There were no personal benefits to be gained with that choice. There was nothing.

He chose do die for us. Because He chose to obey His Father, Who was His Life and His very fulfillment.

And, because He loved us.

Now that is the punch-line. Because He loved us. And mind you, we didn't love Him first.

His only reason for being tortured in our place was L-O-V-E. And that is love to the ultimate.

But it didn't stop there. He was raised from the dead, and is now seated in heaven at the Right Hand of the Father, interceding on our behalf. His love didn't stop at Calvary. No, it continues on just as strong, just as sure, just as full, and just as beautiful, today. His love never changes, it never fails, it never runs out. However, if we want to accept His gift and take part in a beautiful, divine relationship with Him, He expects us to do our part, too. But even there, He doesn't want us to do it ourselves. He wants to be our lifeline; our shield; the Horn of our Salvation. Our rock; our fortress; our deliverer. He says that no temptation has befallen us except that which is common to man; and even Jesus Himself was tempted with everything you have been tempted with. Only He did not sin, and He wants to be there, right at our side, to enable us to do the same. Inevitably, we will fall at times. But that's only because our stubborn, rebellious wills will not always accept His help, and will charge right into sin anyway, like it or not. But even then, His love never fails. His love is unconditional, and He promises that if we repent of, and confess, our sins, He is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. That's a promise, and He also promises never to break His promises.

So my question is, how can we, having accepted the gift He's given to us, thank Him occasionally, then go on with our busy lives and not spreading the word? Don't you think that if someone pulled up in their driveway to find a brand-new, sparkling Mercedes in their driveway with an offer to give a brand-new, sparkling Mercedes to all your friends, family (and even your enemies), if they wanted it, you would be telling them about it, and with great gusto?

So why do we find it so hard to spread the word about something even better than a brand-new, sparkling Mercedes?

That's my question.

And that's my challenge.

To myself -- and to you.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I just read your blog for the first time and really enjoyed it. The posts I read were God honouring and I've been thinking on the issue of evangelism recently. I also enjoyed reading the movie previews. I love the movie "Fireproof" too.

Gabrielle Joy said...

What an encouraging post! Very thought provoking!
God BLess!